Friday 11 September 2015

Double Square Box Frame Card Tutorial for Fancy Fold Friday

So it is Fancy Fold Friday time again... and I have a Double Square Box Frame Card  - with a tutorial - for you...
Showcasing the beginning of my new BIG alphabet - using - the Hearth & Home window die! Told you it wasn't just about windows.... Just a snip here - and a snip there... 
I am so happy to have had this idea - as an alphabet can never be too large.... especially for special projects at this time of year....
My NOEL is dressed care of the Festive Fireplace stamps and Festive Fireside dies... 

Although the wreath on the N is really making me giggle - it just reminds me of those moments when your knicker elastic snaps!!! And if that has never happened to you - you are very lucky!!! Embarrassing but hilarious memories are flooding back over here!
Sorry I digress... back to the card...

I do have a tutorial for you... but I feel like rather a fraud with this one!!

1. Make one of these - metric/centimetres version - or see below for the imperial (inches) version
2. Make another one!
3. Cut a 13 x 2cm (5 1/8" x 3/4") piece of card and score PORTRAIT in half at 1 cm (3/8")
4. Bone Fold this strip
5. Adhere Box Frames to either side of score line (mountain at front/facing you!)

And oops... an apology... I thought I had already re-done this project as an imperial (inches) tutorial as well ...but now I have just realised I hadn't.... so here it is... so sorry for delay.... but hey now... there is a proper tutorial after all!!

Shadow Box Frame Card Tutorial – 5 1/4" Square with 3/8" Box Sides and Top
Start off with a 8 1/4" square of Thick Whisper White cardstock 

Please note that my photos are from the original full A4 sheet tutorial posted here – just imagine all the next photos as squares of cardstock rather than the rectangles shown!!!

1. Score at 3/8", 3/4", 1 1/8" & 1 1/2" on all 4 sides.clip_image006
clip_image008
2. Make an “extra short score” at 1 7/8" & 6 3/8" from top to 2ndscore-line down. 
clip_image010
3. Turn 180 degrees and repeat (2)
clip_image012
4. Cut up these extra score lines and diagonally across to the 3rd score lineclip_image014
clip_image016
5. Cut out the “16-bit” squares at each cornerclip_image018
clip_image020

clip_image022
6. Bone fold all score-lines
clip_image024
8. Apply glue to folded side of outer-most sections on all 4 sides ( ** See NOTE below!)
clip_image026
9. Apply Tear & Tape OR Sticky Strip across back of 4 diagonal sections (or add a glue dot)
clip_image028
10. Assemble straight sides first. 
Recommend sticking any paper/photo in first before assembling if you want as an edge to edge back!
Remove part of red protective cover
clip_image032
11. Line up outer edge to inner score-line at that end & press down flat to stick. 
clip_image034
12. Line up outer edge to inner score line at other end & pull out rest of red protective cover to stick. Now your box section should pop up … nice and square and straight!!
clip_image036
13. Repeat for other straight edge
clip_image038
14. Now onto the 2 notched ends …. Repeat process for the 2 straight sides BUT…. 
... and this is the MOST important TIPRemove red protective cover on the 2 small diagonals and cover with some longer lengths of scrap red protective cover
clip_image040
15. Fold the straight edge down as before & glue into place
clip_image042
16. Then push the sides up & over the square/box side sections, get the mitres/diagonals in place & then pull the red protective cover out (concentrating on one side at a time!)
clip_image044
clip_image046
17. Repeat for the other notched side. 

** NOTE - I have to admit that I am still using my Tear & Tape (or Sticky Strip for those of you that have not seen the light…and converted…) on those diagonals  - but I now use my trusty Tombow on the straight sides – applying a bead onto the base of the frame next to the inner scoreline works a treat – no wet glue on my fingers as I roll the section around and over…

And there you have it…one 3/8" section Shadow Box Frame from an A4 Wide (ie 21cm/8 1/4") Square of card with perfect mitred corners!  Ends up as a 5 1/4" Square Box Frame 

4 comments:

Karen Watts said...

Love this one. Going to have to give the double box frame a go. k x

Amanda said...

Thx Karen...look forward to seeing yours....

MaryJo said...

This is awesome!! Thank you for sharing!! I believe I am going to have to give this a try!!

Amanda said...

I believe you should Mary Jo! Enjoy..... And thanks....